General Purpose of the Position
Plan, coordinate and review tax compliance engagements to ensure these are executed properly and in accordance with firm policy, tax return deadlines and client agreements. Supervise, coach and mentor tax staff. Develop and maintain client relationships.
- Responsible for planning, supervising, and completing tax compliance engagements in a wide variety of industries.
- Plan the timing and assigning of staff to engagements. This involves analysis of staff’s abilities, and the allocation of management time for assisting and training staff.
- Assure client list tax returns deadline compliance and ascertain that we are meeting engagement terms.
- Serve as intermediaries between partners, clients, and tax seniors.
This means conducting primary and secondary review of complicated federal and state income tax returns including corporate, partnership, fiduciary and individual clients and managing consulting work.
- Analysis of technical issues, and working closely with partners and staff as a team with an ultimate goal of excellent client service.
- Review engagement work papers, resolve any problems, and keep the partner informed of all important developments in the engagement.
- Prepare client billings. This may include assisting with collections when appropriate.
- Evaluate the performance of tax professionals as required by firm policy.
- Facilitate the professional development and technical knowledge of the staff.
- Develop new client contacts and relationships beneficial to the firm. These can be professional, civic, and/or community service contacts.
- Assist in administrative functions as assigned by the partners.
- Recognize opportunities to provide additional services to existing clients.
- Performs research in tax related matters (PR & USA Taxes) in order to conduct tax planning and consulting services.
- Review resumes, and conduct interviews for the recruitment of candidates.
- Effectively administer the budgeted hours assigned to the consulting task.
- Develops the documentation and reviewing techniques according to the consulting schedule.
- Effectively identify risk and/or issues and provide solutions to the engagement.
Education, Training and/or Experience Required
This position requires a BBA in Accounting, CPA and /or Master’s or Law degree in Taxation preferred. Minimum three (3) years experience as a senior tax accountant in a CPA firm and current technical knowledge in tax law.
Must have strong skills in identifying and resolving tax compliance issues and have strong attention to detail. The ability to manage multiple engagements and competing priorities is critical. Must have a strong interest in mentoring staff. Excellent communications and organization skills are a must.
Language, Skills and Knowledge
Excellent communications and organization skills are a must. Must project a mature, well-balanced personality. Ability to write and speak fluently in both Spanish and English.
Ability to read, analyzes, and interprets general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence writes routine reports and correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers. Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions and percentages. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry. Ability to work with several projects at a time and have attention to detail.
Must be a person of high ethical standards. Impeccable manners, punctuality, reliability, attention to detail and empathy are critical success factors. Computer literacy and proficiency in Microsoft applications (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc) is needed.
- Provides effective on the job training to all personnel assigned.
- High ability to manage problems.
- Ability to supervise personnel.
- Reduces partner time and responsibilities.
- Advance client relationship management skills.
- Recognize market needs and ability to identify client opportunities and develop new markets.
- Demonstrate high ethical and professional behavior.
- Demonstrate abilities to support BDO’s initiatives.
- Business management knowledge and skills with nation and international perspective.
- Superior research and critical analytical skills for audit problem solving.
- Advance knowledge in PR and US taxes.
- Manage completely all aspect of task assigned, including time and departmental budgets.
- Identify risk and/or issues and provide solutions.
- Advance documentations and reviewing techniques.
- Complete understanding of Firm’s tax process and best practices.
- Advanced reports writing skills.
The incumbent must be able to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form, and to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
PC/laptop, telephone, calculator, photocopier, scanner, facsimile, e-mail.
The position requires normal physical effort when standing, walking, and/or using office equipment.
This position usually performs in an office environment under normal conditions.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.